We use only lawful and fair means to collect your personal information and take reasonable steps to provide specific Privacy Notices at the time we collect your personal information, but sometimes we may need to provide it to you afterwards. We may provide the relevant Privacy Notice to you verbally, in a confirmation email to you, on the relevant form, in the terms that apply to your service or product, or by referring you to our website.
We may sometimes collect personal information about you from another entity of the Group, from publicly available sources of information, or from third parties, including government departments and third party service providers that provide services to us in connection with our business.
- identity information, such as your name, postal or email address, telephone numbers, and date of birth;
- billing and credit information, such as your credit history, payment history or credit rating from a credit reporting body;
- information about your dealings with us, how you use our products and services, and technical information about our products and services;
- details of your meter, for example, location, type and consumption data;
- property access information for the supply of our services – for example, to supply electricity, we may need information about any dogs on the premises; and
- other information we consider necessary to provide our products or services to you.
We will only collect ‘sensitive information’ from you with your consent and where we reasonably need to do so to provide you with products or services or carry out our activities (e.g. for the purposes of helping customers on life support). Sensitive information is personal information that includes information about things like your health, genetic or other confidential information (such as a person’s criminal record, personal preferences or beliefs).
The primary purpose for which we collect your personal information is to provide you with our products and services and carry out one or more our business functions or activities. This may include collecting, using and disclosing your information to:
- provide you information about products and services;
- consider your request for products and services, including your eligibility – for example, for financial assistance payments;
- verify your identity (identifiers may be checked online with relevant issuing government departments or through our third parties such as credit reporting bodies or information service providers);
- process your application and provide you with products and services;
- check your previous payment history with us and undertake a credit check;
- consider your application/request to provide you with credit;
- improve and develop existing and new products and services (for example, by conducting customer and market research, modelling and planning activities);
- administer the products and services we provide you – for example, answer your queries and complaints, issue bills and seek payment;
- recover debt (this may include disclosure of any overdue accounts to external debt collection agencies and listing with credit reporting bodies);
- maintain our records and internal reports;
- if you are applying for employment with us, to assess your suitability;
- maintain our relationship with you;
- conduct marketing, promotions, competitions and surveys, and for community engagement matters;
- comply with our legal obligations, including under the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 (Qld);
- assist in the establishment, exercise or defence of a legal or equitable claim;
- ensure safety and compliance at our sites and for life support and safety purposes;
- connect and disconnect services;
- supply you with electricity, including connections, disconnections, life support and other service requests or changes from you or your electricity retailer (if we are not your retailer);
- respond to any safety or emergency issues such as power lines down;
- attend to network related requirements (for example, maintenance, vegetation management, street lighting, meter readings and any other request you may have made to us or your electricity retailer (if we are not your retailer));
- notify your electricity retailer of issues concerning your electricity service;
- address any query, feedback or complaint that you may raise with us or your electricity retailer (if we are not your retailer);
- recover costs for damage to network assets.
We may also need you to provide personal information about other individuals (e.g. about your authorised representatives). If you do, it is your responsibility to inform these individuals that their personal information has been supplied to us and advise them about this Privacy Statement.
We may also use and/or disclose your personal information:
- for other purposes which you consent to;
- for secondary purposes related to the primary purpose, where you would reasonably expect us to use or disclose your personal information for that secondary purpose; or
- which are required by or authorised to do so by law.
We may use your information to contact you about new offers, products and services. You have a choice to opt-out of receiving direct marketing materials. If you do not wish to receive this information, please contact us.
We may disclose your personal information (including, in certain limited circumstances, your sensitive information) to third parties, including:
- another entity of the Group or other organisations with whom the Group has affiliations with;
- our employees or contractors, agents, and external advisers, such as lawyers, auditors, accountants and financiers;
- organisations who provide services to us in connection with our business, such as mailing operations, billing and debt recovery functions and information technology services;
- credit-reporting bodies and agencies for identity checking and credit related purposes such as credit- worthiness, credit rating and default listing);
- law enforcement or government agencies, as required or authorised by law (for example, to the Australian Tax Office).
We may sometimes disclose your personal information to third parties overseas. If we use a cloud-based service to store and process personal information, such a service may use a server hosted overseas to store data including your personal information.
We take reasonable steps to ensure these organisations comply with confidentiality and privacy obligations concerning the protection of personal information.